Coding Challenge @Te Ōhaka: Powered by SchoolBell.chat
Ara Institute of Canterbury and Ministry of Awesome are looking for New Zealand’s next Coding All-Star.
The Coding Challenge, powered by SchoolBell.chat, is an awesome opportunity for Ara students to utilise their skills and work alongside an innovative, young EdTech startup.
Public profile, cash prizes and internship opportunities await. Put your coding capability and creativity on display and register for the Coding Challenge today!
What is the Coding Challenge @Te Ōhaka?
The Coding Challenge is a two-week long challenge that you can work around your studies. You'll get to work on a real-world opportunity to develop a web-based system alongside industry veterans and experts.
If you're selected, you will:
Participate in 3 technical workshops, learning the most up-to-date coding platforms and tools that are not in use in an educational setting.
Put your technical and innovative skills to work, creating new systems alongside an up-and-coming Edtech startup.
Get the chance to raise your profile and connect with our city's leading influencers, industry experts, and commercial leadership.
When and Where?
- The challenge runs from 23 August to 4 September, with selected participants continuing onwards to compete for a cash prize as well as an internship with SchoolBell.chat following the final pitches.
- The programme workshops will run from the Te Ōhaka - Centre for Growth & Innovation which is in Building K on the Ara Christchurch Campus.
- Participants must attend workshops, but will be free to work on their coding solutions as it suits them throughout the two-week period.
- Final pitches will take place at the Canterbury Tech Summit on 12 September, THE event of the year for the NZ Tech industry. If you are selected for the finals, you will get free entrance and ample opportunity to network with future employers and learn from international speakers.
- Most valuable of all, selected finalists will pitch in front of those very industry veterans and influencers which is an incredible opportunity to profile your capability to the tech ecosystem.
Deadlines and Dates
Registration Ends: 21st August
Challenge Brief: 23rd August, 1 to 2 PM
Consultation Workshop: 26th August, 7 to 8 PM
Pitch Workshop: 29th August, 5 to 7 PM
Submission: 4th September, before 9.00 AM
Announcing Shortlist: 12th September, 5.00 PM
Final Pitch: 12th September
The competition is open to enrolled Ara students from any department. However, you will need to have strong coding skills in order to succeed in the challenge.
Can Ara alumnae apply? No, only enrolled students at the Ara Institute of Canterbury can apply.
Can I apply alone? Students must apply individually but can work together in teams of two or individually.
Should I pay to be part of the programme? No, the Coding Challenge is a fully funded programme run for Ara students.
Do I have to be an ICT student? The Coding Challenge is open to registered Ara students from any department but you will need to have strong coding skills.
Can I work during the programme? The programme includes three workshops that participants must attend, but you are free to work in your own time around these dates.
Can I apply as a team? You cannot apply as a team for this challenge, but you are able to work as part of one once registered.